How to Get a NY Medical Marijuana Card
These are the steps to get a medical marijuana card in New York with the help of Leafy DOC:
Book Your Appointment
Skip the wait at the doctor’s office and schedule your evaluation from the comfort and convenience of your home. Submit an intake form with a few personal details and a summary of your medical history; then, we’ll help you book an on-demand telehealth appointment or schedule a convenient time for later.
Match With a Licensed Marijuana Doctor
Connect with the right doctor in minutes and easily chat with your provider on a smartphone, computer, or tablet via phone call or video. Our licensed physicians will evaluate your qualifying condition, address your questions and concerns, and then provide a recommendation for medical cannabis via email.
Register with the NY Department of Health
Log in to the New York Department of Health website at https://my.ny.gov/ and register as a patient using your medical marijuana certification from Leafy DOC and the required documents.
The Leafy DOC Difference
We’re here to help! At Leafy DOC, we believe that access to medical cannabis is essential; we connect medical marijuana patients with a licensed medical marijuana doctor online for patient evaluations. A certified health professional is ready to help with the medical marijuana certification.
Same Day Approval
Certified License MMJ Physicians
Excellent customer service
Easy Renewal Process
Cannabis Health Coach
Patient Referral Program
Dispensary Near Me
Don’t just take our word for it
Get Approved Today!
Designed for MMJ Patients. Customized to fit your Life.
CANNABIS IN NEW YORK – EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
New York Marijuana Laws
- Marijuana is a Schedule I substance in the State of NY
- Federally, cannabis is still considered a Schedule I Controlled Substance.
- Governor Cuomo signed The Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act into law which legalized the personal possession of up to three ounces of cannabis flower and up to 24 grams of concentrates for those ages 21 and older.
- Public consumption of marijuana through smoking or vaping will be handled as a violation of New York’s tobacco control laws.
- Without compensation, exchanging up to three ounces of marijuana or 24 grams of concentrate carries no penalty, imprisonment, or fine.
- Growing over six (12 per residence) cannabis plants is a misdemeanor and is punishable by up to one year of imprisonment and a fine of up to 1000 USD.
- Mandatory driver’s license suspension of six months for youthful offenders.
Cannabis Policy Reform Timeline
- 1927: Cannabis was banned in New York due to federal prohibition laws
- 1977: Partial decriminalization; no arrest, just fines for minor possession
- 2014: Medical marijuana was legalized; NYPD ceased arrests for minor possession and handed out tickets instead
- 2021: Governor Cuomo signed the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation act to legalize cultivation and possession for adults
- 2023: Retail sales of cannabis will begin in NY
Possession Limits in NY
- Patients and caregivers with a New York medical cannabis card are qualified to possess up to three ounces of cannabis in various forms at home or in public. However, it can not be used in public places.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit These New York Hotspots After Getting Your Medical Card
New York City
New York City, aka the Big Apple, is arguably one of the most prominent cities in the United States. Diverse and constantly moving, there is a profound number of attractions to explore in the city.
If you’re on a quick tour, try these stops:
- Museum of Modern Art
- Rockefeller Center
- Grand Central Station
- New York Public Library
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Time’s Square
- Central Park
Niagara Falls is undoubtedly a romantic destination and is known by many as the Honeymoon capital of the World. However, travelers come from all over to view the beloved natural attraction. Niagara Falls is located on the border of the United States and Canada and can be witnessed on either side.