How to Get a Medical Card in Montana
by Haley Mills · November 23, 2022
Looking to get a medical card in Montana? Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
Whether you’re a Montana resident considering applying for an MMJ card or a current cardholder looking to move to Montana, you can take steps to secure your medical marijuana card online. The Montana medical marijuana card process can be done entirely online.
One will first need to obtain a certification from a licensed physician that they have a qualifying condition. Once certified by a medical professional, patients can go through the application process online, either through the state website or telehealth providers. Read on as we go over the steps to apply, renew, and become a caregiver in Montana.
The United States and Legal Medical Cannabis
In the United States, medical marijuana programs have been legalized in thirty-six states and the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Medical marijuana programs allow patients with specified conditions to own, grow and utilize cannabis products to aid in managing their condition, even if recreational cannabis users are not authorized.
Approved requirements vary by state, and many programs will require patience to apply for a medical cannabis card. This process will typically include a consultation and evaluation by a physician. A primary care provider can often suggest it for medical cannabis patients with long-term or chronic conditions.
Medicinal Cannabis Use
Over fifty peer-reviewed medical studies have been conducted on the potential medicinal benefits of cannabis and its many cannabinoids and terpenes. The consensus that emerged from these studies is that cannabis can provide medical benefits for many different conditions. While most of these studies have focused on the help of the specific cannabinoid CBD, other major and minor cannabinoids, in conjunction with terpenes, show significant promise in treating both physical and mental ailments.
MT Patient Eligibility
Montana law requires all qualified medical marijuana patients to be registered with the State before purchasing medical marijuana products.
Requirements are as follows:
- A Montana medical marijuanas patient must be 18 years of age or older
- Only patients who can prove Montana residency can apply (personal driver’s license, Government ID)
- Montana residents must also have medical records showing a diagnosis that qualifies for medical marijuana cards by a licensed doctor.
Qualifying Conditions in Montana
These conditions include:
- positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, or acquired immune deficiency syndrome when the condition or disease results in symptoms that seriously and adversely affect the patient’s health status
- cachexia or wasting syndrome
- severe chronic pain is persistent pain of severe intensity that significantly interferes with daily activities, as documented by the patient’s treating physician
- intractable nausea or vomiting
- epilepsy or an intractable seizure disorder
- multiple sclerosis
- Crohn’s disease
- painful peripheral neuropathy
- a central nervous system disorder resulting in chronic, painful spasticity or muscle spasms
- admittance into hospice care
- post-traumatic stress disorder
Steps to Apply for a Medical Card
These are the steps to get a medical marijuana card in Montana with the help of Leafy DOC:
First, you’ll select your State to receive the most accurate and up-to-date information about the Montana medical marijuana card process.
Skip the wait at the doctor’s office and schedule your evaluation from the comfort and convenience of your home. Submit an intake form with personal details and a summary of your medical history; then, we’ll help you book an on-demand telehealth appointment or schedule a convenient time for later.
An online recommendation with Leafy DOC starts at 129 USD for new patients and renewals in Montana. There is a money-back guarantee if you are not approved for Montana medical use.
Connect with the right licensed medical marijuana doctor in minutes and easily chat with your provider on a smartphone, computer, or tablet via phone call or video. Our licensed physicians will evaluate your qualifying condition, address your questions and concerns, and then provide a recommendation for medical cannabis via email.
If the doctor approves the condition and writes an MMJ recommendation, the patient must register and pay the state application fee online via the Montana Medical Marijuana Program TAP Portal.
After the State approves your registration, a temporary card will be issued to the patient through their TAP Portal license dashboard. Once you have the MMJ card, you can visit Montana dispensaries and purchase medicinal cannabis products.
Get Approved Today!
Can Leafy DOC help?
Absolutely! Not only can Leafy DOC provide a way to see a doctor via telehealth and obtain your medical card, but we also offer access to knowledgeable and helpful customer support and a personalized health coach that can guide you before and after the MMJ card process. Our mission at Leafy DOC is to provide a seamless customer experience, educate people about cannabis, and ultimately help people get medical cards quickly and efficiently.
Additional MMJ Card Fees in MT
The state fee to register via the Montana Department of Health is twenty dollars. This is one of the lowest fees for an MMJ program in medically legal states.
The Renewal Process
When renewing a Montana Medical Marijuana Card, patients must re-apply via the TransAction Portal. The state will send an email thirty days before the expiration date as a reminder, and it is recommended to renew as soon as possible before it expires to be safe. The renewal fee is 20 USD.
How to Apply as a Caregiver
- Must be at least 18 years of age per medical marijuana laws
- No convictions of a felony drug offense
- Registered with the Department of Public Health and Human Services.
Becoming a Caregiver
- The Cardholder should be certified for the medical use of marijuana with a physician’s recommendation.
- The Cardholder (medical marijuana patient) needs to designate the caregiver by sending an application to the Department of Public Health and Human Services.
- The Cardholder and the Provider will both have a registry identification card to possess and cultivate your own medical marijuana.
Where to Purchase Medical Marijuana in Montana
Once you’re registered for the Montana Medical Cannabis program and received your ID card, you may wonder what’s next. There are a few ways to receive legal medical marijuana in Montana as a qualified patient. You can buy cannabis in Montana at a licensed dispensary or from a licensed delivery service if you have a medical marijuana certification. You can also grow your own cannabis at home if you have not chosen a dispensary – four mature plants, four seedlings, and up to one ounce of usable marijuana.
Last Updated: July 25, 2023
Get Your Medical Card
Connect with a licensed physician online in minutes
Like This Article?
Share with your friends
Table of Contents
Looking to get a medical marijuana card? Find out the best time to make your move and seize this game-changing opportunity. Don’t miss out, click now!
Looking for relief from shingles pain? Learn how CBD cream can soothe and heal. Click now to discover the surprising benefits of this natural remedy!
Discover if you have a qualifying condition for medical marijuana in NY. Learn about the eligibility requirements, and how to apply for a medical marijuana card today. Get started now!