Fast, easy, and affordable
Get Your Montana Medical Marijuana Card Online In Minutes
How to Get a MT Medical Marijuana Card
These are the steps to get a medical marijuana card in Montana with the help of Leafy DOC:
The Leafy DOC Difference
We’re here to help! At Leafy DOC, we believe that access to medical cannabis is essential; we connect medical marijuana patients with a licensed medical marijuana doctor online for patient evaluations. A certified health professional is ready to help with the medical marijuana certification.
Don’t just take our word for it
Designed for MMJ Patients. Customized to fit your Life.
CANNABIS IN MONTANA – EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
Montana Marijuana Laws
- Marijuana is a Schedule I substance in the state of Montana
- Federally, cannabis is still considered a Schedule I Controlled Substance.
- An adult resident may possess up to one ounce of cannabis
- Possession of more than one ounce of marijuana but less than two ounces of marijuana is a civil infraction punishable at the person’s choice, either by a fine of up to 200 USD or the completion of four hours of community service.
- Distribution of more than two ounces of marijuana, with or without compensation, is punishable by a mandatory minimum of one year, a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, and a fine of up to 50,000 USD.
- Those age 21 and older may legally grow no more than two plants and two seedlings.
- Possession, manufacture, or delivery of paraphernalia is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months of imprisonment and/or a fine of 500 USD.
Cannabis Policy Reform Timeline
- 2004: The Montana Medical Marijuana Act was passed by voters to establish the Montana Medical Marijuana Program
- 2016: I-182 Montana Medical Marijuana Initiative eliminated many of the more strict requirements of SB-423 and added chronic pain and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as qualifying conditions.
- 2017: SB433 created more detailed regulations, allowed additional chemical manufacturing
- of marijuana products, and created a tax on gross sales.
- 2019: SB265 increased the tax on medicinal marijuana providers in the state, while it also
- made it easier for patients to get cannabis from other providers.
- 2020: I-190 Adult-Use Recreational Marijuana; criminal possession or use of less than one ounce of marijuana no longer applies under state law for adults
- 21 and older: Adults may plant and cultivate up to four mature marijuana plants and four seedlings.
- 2022: Sales for adult-use marijuana began on January 1, 2022
Possession Limits in MT
- Adult residents may possess one ounce of cannabis at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit These Montana Hotspots After Getting Your Medical Card
Glacier National Park
Few destinations are more appealing than Glacier National Park for those seeking breathtaking landscapes and scenery. It is a magical place to visit in Montana, on the border with Canada and adjacent to the Canadian Waterton Lakes National Park.
Shuttles and guided tours are available for tourists, but hiking is the ideal way to see the park’s beauty. Over 700 miles of hiking trails are ready to be explored, and you can also go fishing, mountain biking, or horseback riding along the way.
In the center of Montana, Great Falls is a beautiful destination known as the Electric City. This destination is often considered a stopping point when driving across Montana or visiting nearby national parks, but the city offers plenty on its own.
You could spend a day at the Ryan Dam, which boasts miles of surrounding hiking trails. You could also walk along the banks of the Missouri River and explore the Giant Springs State Park and Lewis and Clark National Interpretive Center.